The Accelerated Reduction Effort on Anaemia (AREA) Community of Practice (COP), facilitated by the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN) and moderated by the U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID’s) SPRING project, was launched in June 2015. The AREA COP provides a unique opportunity to connect with other professionals and stay abreast of the latest developments in anemia-related research, policy, and implementation. Since the AREA COP’s creation in May 2015, it has grown to more than 500 members from over 55 countries. The COP webinar series presents relevant and timely topics to members based on their feedback and the latest happenings in the field.
On October 18, 2016, the COP hosted its fourth webinar, The Contribution of Neglected Tropical Diseases to Anemia, attended by 90 people. The topic seems to have brought a new audience, as at least half of the attendees were not previous members. The Q&A shared after the session is available on the AREA website for members.
In addition to hosting webinars, the COP disseminates anemia-related vacancy and conference announcements, recent publications, and reports. For example, since the last resource review, the following were shared:
- The WHO’s new Antenatal Care Guidelines, an exciting comprehensive view on supporting a positive pregnancy experience (including replacement of some existing WHO Guidelines)
- An invitation to participate in the second phase of WHO’s online consultation on revising guidelines on hemoglobin concentrations for the diagnosis of anemia
- An opportunity to give input on the priorities for a future USAID-funded multisectoral nutrition program and the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition
- Requests to convene with other members or attend sessions at the International Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy Diets and Improved Nutrition (1-2 December, Rome) and the Micronutrient Forum (23-28 October, Cancun)
- A Storify (compilation of tweets) and a list of anemia takeaways from the Micronutrient Forum Global Conference (available on the AREA website)
- Updates to a debate about anemia in the 2016 Global Nutrition Report
- An invitation to a webinar on biofortification and a share-out of materials from a webinar on adolescent nutrition
- Post-doctorate, consultancy, and job opportunities with UNICEF India, the Biomarkers Reflecting Inflammation and Nutritional Determinants of Anemia project, and the Food Fortification Initiative, as well as a Millennium Challenge Account consultation on IFA procurement, a study in Panama on the acceptability and adherence of MNPs and iron syrup, and a project on barriers to livestock-rearing strategies to reduce anemia in Ghana
If you are not already a member, please join us by clicking the link below. You can also reach out on twitter: @AREAnaemia